Saturday, October 30, 2010

Notes for 10/30

1) W3schools HTML Tutorial
    I wish HTML were as easy as this tutorial made it sound. Having used HTML in the past, I can tell you it is not this easy! Still, this is a fun tutorial with some useful information. I definitely see myself using this tutorial to help me the next time I try to set up a webpage.

2) HTML Cheatsheet
 
This is basically a dummy's guide to HTML. I actually like this better than the tutorial because it does a better job of simplifying HTML without being misleading to the viewer. My problem with the first tutorial is that I feel it is a little misleading as to what HTML really is and how to use it. 

3) Beyond HTML: Developing and re-imagining library web guides in a content management system. 
      
Like others, I also do not understand why libraries are trying to limit their staff accessing/contributing to the website. Can someone please explain this to me?

4) W3 School Cascading Style Sheet Tutorial

   It looks like CCS is a lot easier to use than HTML. I definitely would like to have more hands-on experience with CCS as I think it is a much easier and much more efficient way to create web pages. 

2 comments:

  1. Doug, I am now a bit worried after your comment about HTML not being that easy! It was interesting to read your comments, because you have experience with web design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug,
    I understand your confusion on why libraries would want limit accessing/contributing to a school's website. As a librarian, it is more or less a "who you know" and "what you can do" type of thing. If a librarian isn't very familiar with HTML or CSS, there is the fear that that librarian will mess up the site. But, from what I've been exposed and have done, librarians will go ahead and post/create what they want, through Blackboard/blogs/website to get information out online.

    ReplyDelete