Friday, October 22, 2010

10/23 notes


Brin and Page
The Brin and Page talk was okay, but a little outdated. Technology has changed a lot in 6 years. In 6 years, Google has evolved from a fledgling search engline to a corporate giant. I just heard a news story on the radio last week that stated Google is now experimenting with A.I. cars that are able to drive themselves without human operators. There is no way that Google would have been doing that kind of stuff 6 years ago. I think that Brin and Page should do a new interview where they talk about how much Google has changed and how it has branched out into other business ventures.

ILS

The ILS article was good. I do not have any experience working with ILS, so it was great to learn about it. I think the ILS is under-utilized in libraries due to the fact that it is difficult to use. However, it has the potential to become a larger factor in libraries as the years go on, so it is important that future librarians know how to use it. 

howstuffworks.com
I loved the howstuffworks article. It really taught me a lot about the history of the Internet, such as HTTP and URL. In my opinion, too many people log on to the Internet every day without having any idea how it works or the history behind it, and this article explains a lot of that in Layman's terms that are easy to understand.

1 comment:

  1. I too would love to see an updated interview. I'd like to know how many things have been tried and abandoned, such as Google Answers. I fear Google will take over the world, but Brin and Page seem so genuine, I wonder if they are as earnest as they appear.

    ReplyDelete