Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week 3 Notes

Mac OS X:

It was interesting to learn about the Mac OS X, the lastest operating system for Macintosh. Some of the features look really cool. You can choose from eighteen different languages as the system's default language. Also, Mac OX X uses Dashboard, which is a group of applications that can be summoned and called away in a single second.

Reading this article was kind of a surreal experience for me. When I was in Kindergarten in 1988, I remember playing on one of the Macintosh's in my school's computer lab and thinking it was the coolest thing ever, and the Mac's back then didn't even have HALF of the features that Mac OS X has.  It's simply amazing how far technology has come along in the past 20 years.

Linux:

My father LOVES Linux, and I never understood why because I really didn't know what Linux was. So this article was a good overview for me.

One thing I learned that Linux is not actually a system itself, but it's a term for a FAMILY of operating systems. I also learned that Linux has been in existence since 1969. This was surprising to me because I thought that Linux was releatively new. Linux software is also one of the first and most prominent examples of "free and open source software", where a wide variety of people can modify and design it at the same time. It's kind of like the way Wikipedia operates.

Windows:

Interesting info. about Windows. I have had Windows for a long time, so it was interesting to read about Windows XP and Windows Vista. What was the most interesting part of the article, however, was Bill Veghte's (Senior VP of Microsoft) approach to customer service. From this letter, it seems like Veghte really cares about customer satisfaction and wants people who buys his products to be happy. This is clear by how, at the beginning of the letter, Veghe immediately addresses customer concerns about receiving support for Windows XP. Microsoft's dedication to serve their customers is also evident with the "telemetry system" that is a feature for Windows Vista. This system gathers information about how users are specifically using Windows Vista. This allows the Windows development teams to prioritize their work on Vista applications to better serve the customers. Overall, I was really impressed by how Windows treats their customers. I only wish Comcast treated their customers like that!

1 comment:

  1. Doug, I also got a similar impression about Bill Veghte's attentiveness to customer service and overall satisfaction. As a Windows user, it was helpful to read this letter and understand a bit more about the operating systems themselves, including the efforts to have the different systems share a similar, basic structure upon which to build different functions for the user's convenience. I'll be curious to hear how others felt about his customer service tone in this document. This letter is a good example of the importance of individual customer satisfaction, and how this ultimately affects so many different facets of a company.

    -Rachel Nard

    ReplyDelete