Sunday, November 28, 2010

Appich- 11/27 Reading Notes

Weblogs: Their Use and Application in Science and Technology Libraries
It was interesting to learn about how blogs are used in S&T libraries environment. I definitely think libraries could utilize blogs more. However, my one beef with blogs is that they are currently being over-utilized to the point where many people don’t care about them anymore, so libraries would need to be careful about how they use them in the future, in my opinion.


Using a wiki to manage a library instruction program: Sharing knowledge to better serve patrons
I love this idea! Who doesn’t love wikis? I am glad that libraries have found a way to utilize them in a way that serves their patrons. I like this idea for libraries much better than the idea about blogs. Wikis allow EVERYONE to be involved in the dissemination of knowledge, whereas blogs are usually only run by one person.

Creating the academic library folksonomy: Put social tagging to work at your institution

I like this idea, too. Tagging could really be helpful for library users and allow them to find information that they might otherwise overlook.
Jimmy Wales: “How a ragtag band created Wikipedia”

Jimmy Wales is my hero. Not only did he create such a brilliant digital community, but he did it without “selling out”. There are no advertisers or spyware on Wikipedia, which shows that he cares more about the dissemination of knowledge than making a profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment